[fpc-pascal] Lazarus and FPC integration

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 21:27:49 CET 2005

> > This eliminates:
> > a) C++ using any platform independent library, like gtk, qt,
> > wxwidgets, etc, because the library is too big to fit a floppy
>
> Which library do you use for Pascal that fits in a floppy?

LCL (Win32 on Windows and gtk 1.2 for Linux).

After strip and upx I get:
700kb on Linux
420kb on Windows

And this does not require any special library to be distributed. I am
guessing any modern linux already comes with gtk 1.2 +. The main size
problem is for Windows, witch in run on the vast majority of old
computers. The app needs to fit a floppy and run on a 233Mhz computer
with Windows 95. Lazarus produces this kind of app.

The result with Delphi is significantly superior as I get a 400kb app
that handles XML DOM, many forms and lot´s of data without upx. But is
not platform independent...

> Perl is usually fast, Python not so much. But anyway if you want fast go with
> assambler :-).

No, I have already seen a speed comparion using the factoring of a
number as the problem. Perl and Python are overwelmingly inferior no
anything, including Java, c++ and pascal. java is slow then both c++
and pascal.

Assembler is not cpu independend =)

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho