[fpc-pascal] Systems 2005: A first summary

Tony Pelton tpelton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 04:02:27 CET 2005

On 10/29/05, Sebastian Günther <sguenther at gmx.de> wrote:
> Tony Pelton schrieb:
>
> > another thing that most java ide's do, which may or may not apply to
> > lazarus, is that most IDE's have the ability to support more than one
> > compiler suite at a time.
>
> Yes but that is quite meaningless for the case of Free Pascal. I don't
> think that Lazarus ever will support the compilers of Delphi or Kylix.
> Those both projects are more or less dead already (Delphi will be dead,
> if Borland will continue their chosen path).

just to clarify what i was trying to say :

i wasn't neccessarily suggesting that Lazarus should support different
Pascal compilers, though that might be a good thing.

i was more suggesting that Lazarus might do well to be able to easily
switch between different installations of the Free Pascal compiler.

for instance, i run Gentoo (which has a rather messy bunch of
freepascal e-builds on it, which at some point i intend to rectify)
but where it has 1.9.4 and 2.0.0-r1 compilers available minimally.

in addition, i have an SVN checkout sitting on my hard drive locally.

being able to switch between the different compiler version easily
might be of interest to some users potentially.

in any event ...

I Love Free Pascal !!

Long Live FPC !

;)