[fpc-pascal] Systems 2005: A first summary

Bisma Jayadi bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Sat Oct 29 08:02:50 CEST 2005

It's a great news to know FPC and Lazarus getting more and more popular and
starting to be counted in serious software development. I'm really glad to hear
and see this. :)

I got few suggestions, especially to target more Delphi developers.

1. Maybe it'll better for public and new users to know 1 product instead of two:
FPC (the compiler) and Lazarus (the IDE). Just like Delphi for the compiler and
the IDE in a single package. I still got many times question like this: "what's
the difference between FPC and Lazarus?" or "why I still need FPC if I already
got Lazarus?". Because many new users think that Lazarus is also a Pascal
compiler, another Delphi clone, or Kylix alternative. :p

2. Language/compiler support for (Delphi) package (.bpl?). I think this is the
most significant problem for new FPC/Lazarus user who used to be a Delphi user.
Custom component creation and installation seems to be too complicated and
required much efforts in Lazarus, while it's a very simple task on Delphi. If
they able to compile and use their Delphi components on Lazarus, it'll be a
really BIG advantage.

3. Again... it's about language compatibility with Delphi 2005 (and newer). No,
I ain't talking about .Net! Forget .Net, but don't forget new language features
on new Delphi release. Ok... I agree if we skip the aesthetical-beauty and
saving-key-strokes features, yes I know it's not worth it. But we should
consider new language power features. To mention a few: sealed class, class
constants, generics, etc. Staying as close as possible to Delphi language will
give us more chances to get more users.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Regards,

-Bee-