[fpc-pascal] Lazarus IDE Question

David Chandler david at davidchandler.com
Mon Oct 24 07:32:05 CEST 2005

I need to follow up on my own question, having done some more
experimenting.  I discovered that although the menu system locks up when
I do a "Run" from within the Lazarus environment (Version 0.9.10 beta),
if I get out of the IDE and double click on the exe file that was
produced it works fine.  I still don't know if the reason Lazarus
produces bad results is because of a faulty configuration on my part or
a genuine bug.  The error message I get when I stop the program is
"Project raised external exception class 'Externals: SIGSEGV'".

I tried stepping through the program with the debugger.  What I got were
various messages saying Lazarus couldn't find different inc files.  It
gave me an opportunity to supply my own path, so after searching around
I provided a path (C:\lazarus\fpcsrc\rtl\inc\...), after which it kept
working.

After exiting the program I tried finding where I could set the path and
found Compiler Options under the Project menu, which had a place to give
paths to different kinds of files.  I set the path as above and got this
message when the program compiled again:

File C:\lazarus\fpcsrc\rtl\inc\genstr.inc is newer than Release PPU
file, C:\lazarus\pp\units\i386-win32\rtl\strings.ppu

along with a similar message for all the other inc files.  I have no
idea what this really means, but it makes me wonder what version of FPC
Lazarus is using.  (I have a separate installed copy of FPC, but Lazarus
apparently has its own built in with no apparent way to redirect it to a
different version.)  Despite the messages, the program went ahead and
built, with the same flaw as before.

So that is the state of my experimentation.