[fpc-pascal] Questions on Documentation

Elio Cuevas Gómez elio at mixtk.com
Tue Oct 11 05:58:34 CEST 2005

El Lun 10 Oct 2005 19:19, Bob Richards escribió:

> I miss the old DOS IDE of Borland-of-Old; FP is somewhat OK, and Lazarus is
> way too much for system programming. But that's no real problem, VI does me
> just fine!

Why don't you try FP? It's included in the FPC distribution IIRC. But i'd
rather program in VI any day ;-).

> The biggest problem I have run into is the function/procedure
> documentation. While very complete, and clearly written, it is organized in
> a way making it difficult to find things. Similar functions and procedures
> are scattered among various Units, making things difficult to locate. What
> I need is a reference document, listing procedures and functions by
> category (or at the very least alphabetically as in the Turbo Pascal 5.0
> Reference guide). All disk-file routines for instance, listed, in one
> place.

Well, the functions are organized by unit. The IO functions are in the system
unit i think. Misc functions are in the SysUtils unit, etc...

> Are there any printed manuals? Has someone written a good book which would
> be a good reference? Not knowing any OOP (nor having a desire to) would
> purchasing a book on Delphi help me in my FPC documentation quest? Any
> sugestions on which one?

Well, you could just print the PDF's. OOP is not required to program in FPC,
but it sure helps. The FPC implementation of Delphi classes are very similar
to... ehhhm, Delphi, so you could benefit from learning it.