[fpc-pascal] GTK2 and arm-linux

Koenraad Lelong fpascal at brouwerij.homelinux.net
Tue Dec 27 18:22:38 CET 2005

Den Jean wrote:
> On Monday 26 December 2005 02:10 pm, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>Has anyone successfully used the GTK2-library for an arm-processor ?
>>Today I tried the helloworld-demoes, which segfault. I tried gdb but
>

> The Zaurus does not come with Gtk(2). Only Qt/E (ie Qtopia).
> Did you install another ROM with an X11 server/ Gtk libraries ?
>
> The advantage of Qtopia it that it has its own lightweight
> fast replacement for X11, tailored for embedded.
>
> But many also seem to use X11 on higher end Zauri.
> I just never bothered to try it.
>
> Are there any problems with using Qt/E Qtopia + FPC on the Zaurus ?
> Something I can fix ?

I kind of hoped _you_ wouldn't notice my question ;-).
Well, I didn't feel well with Qt/E and FPC. To make my first application
I modified your demo, but some things I just didn't understand, where
they came from, what they are for,... not exactly a tranlation from C
(not that I know much C, but when you buy a book about QT, it's using C
and if you see contructions that are not mentioned in the book, you're
puzzled).
The thing about the screensaver showed me something else. My C-program
to disable the screensaver was only about 30Kbytes. My Pascal version
was more than a megabyte big (maybe it's just a linking problem ?). And
a number of functions didn't work so I couldn't even approach the C-version.
So I looked around for another GUI, and I found the GPE rom for the
Zaurus. But I hesitated to reflash. Then I stumbled on an industrial
PC-board : the Viper from Arcom. Since we use such boards at work I was
able to purchase a development kit. That has Tiny-X installed. Now I'm
trying to use that board to learn more about the arm-processor. But
again I'm having problems with the GUI :-(
So is there someone who can give me a firm push in the right direction
to solve my problem ?
Thanks,
Koenraad Lelong.