[fpc-pascal] First Test of FastMM4 for fpc

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Fri Dec 16 12:57:34 CET 2005

> Hi,
>
> I have changed the FastMM4 that it seemd to work with fpc now. Here are
> the results of my prior tests now with FastMM4 for fpc:
>
> Test1:
>   fpc (standard MM):  3.1 sec - factor = 1.34
>   fpc (FastMM4):  3.0 sec - factor = 1.30
>   delphi (standard MM): 3.1 sec - factor = 1.34
>   delphi (FastMM4): 2.3 sec - factor = 1
>
> Test2:
>   fpc (standard MM): 2.8  sec - factor =  1.47
>   fpc (FastMM4):  2.2 sec - factor = 1.15
>   delphi (standard MM): 2.9 sec - factor = 1.52
>   delphi (FastMM4): 1.9 sec - factor = 1
>
> Test3:
>   fpc (standard MM):  2.5 sec - factor = 1,19
>   fpc (FastMM4):  2.1 sec - factor = 1
>   delphi (standard MM): 3.4 sec - factor = 1.61
>   delphi (FastMM4): 2.1 sec - factor = 1
>
> As you can see the benefits are not as big as compared to the standard
> Delphi MM, but it is still slightly better than the standard MM in fpc
> (and it reports memory leeks). I have not yet tested all of its features
> but it seems to work so far.

I took a look at the MM and found that this test is not representative at
all. At least in the FPC MM it triggers only a single code path for
Reallocmem. And that code path is even the fastest for a
not-in-place-reallocation. And looking at the (unmaintable) FastMM4
sources i guess that the FPC code path is even shorter.

Also i don't know why you make the remark "(and it reports memory leeks)".
FPC already supports that for years with the heaptrc units. And with
compiling with debug info and adding the lineinfo you get output with
source information.