[fpc-pascal] FreePascal 2.0.2 available

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Dec 12 16:07:32 CET 2005

> Congratulations,
>
> with fpc 2.0.2 it's the first time, we were able to compile and run our
> dbGonzales database server (complete delphi code). In earlier versions
> of fpc, we always had some problems (mostly with variants), which caused
> runtime crashes.
> First tests show that the execution speed of  the server is about 10% -
> 30% slower than the same code compiled with delphi (win32). On the first
> glance, i would say, that these performance problems are in the string
> related routines. But this is really a minor problem, since with fpc we
> are now able to port to other platforms and it seems that the code
> quality improves with each release of fpc.

- do you compile with optimizations, e.g. -OG2p2r ?
- a few strategically helped inline directives in tight code can do wonders. However this
	is not universal.
- Delphi apps are often hand-tuned to the default memory manager (iow it's deficiencies
    are worked around with e.g. pooling, and the strengths are left relatively unoptimized)
     Profiling time spent in the memory manager on both systems and e.g. on Delphi
     with an alternate memmgrs like FastMM can help decide if this is the issue.
- A profile comparison in both cases is interesting anyway.