[fpc-pascal] DOOM game for FPC

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Sun Dec 4 03:04:36 CET 2005

> Hello,

> You manually converted c code from doom to pascal and made it compile?

Jimmy did the work, I just ported it to run on freepascal. It's all in the ReadMe.txt
file :-).  Jimmy ported all the C code to Delphi, and I saw his post on Pascal Game
Development website. I'm not exactly a gamer, but I decided to run it through the
freepascal compiler just for fun.

> Where can one find the source code?

The C code?

ID Software (the maker's of doom) released Doom source code... There are even
versions of Doom that run on linux, AFAIR.

Problem is, the game runs really slow on freepascal and the walls "jump into your
face".
Could someone please confirm that the walls are rammed into your face, when you play
the game? It could just be my video card, but I think that is optimistic.

I'm sure this project will help us optimize the freepascal compiler. It could be that
this Doom code has some "bad code" in it, and that Delphi optimizes "bad code" better
than freepascal?

The other problem is the keyboard is really "sticky". You have to hold down the keys
longer in the freepascal version than the Delphi one.

If I had Atttention Deficit disorder, I'd think of running over to Quake 2 and try
compiling it.. but alas... now it's back to Syn text editor work ;-)

--
L505