[fpc-pascal] "is"

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 5 08:24:36 CEST 2005

ml at brainwashers.org wrote:

> Quoting Florian Klaempfl <F.Klaempfl at gmx.de>:
>

>>ml at brainwashers.org wrote:
>>
>>>Personaly, I stopped carring (its been a week or two now, and I still
>>
>>haven't
>>
>>>got the answer even where the problem lies)
>>
>>Well, we try currently prepare 2.0 so the focus is currently on bug
>>fixing so nobody of the developers had time to investigate the patch
>>more deeply yet so 1-2 weeks of delay aren't that big :)
>>

> 2.0 is being mentioned first at 25 september 2003

And?

> (<joke>wow, that's a long "currently", and a lot
> of 1-2 weeks</joke>)? And my best guess is that interfaces are not part of the 2.0 plan (even bug
> reports and fixes I made were completely ignored, just like interfaces aren't part of the 2.0 goal).

Interfaces are part of 2.0 but mainly to be dephi compatible.

> Why maybe affirmative answer would be better?
> It would be better for me because answers wouldn't take forever. And it would be better for you
> because I wouldn't bug you. And then if you need something you take, it will be under the LGPL
> license.
>
> Features being developed now are:
> MI interfaces 90% (MI=multiple inheritance)
> Inclasses 15% (embedded classes)
> foreach 0% (well, we know you hate it)

It's a useless statement if used for arrays, enumerations etc. It blows up the
language for no gain. I really wonder what people would say about a foreach
which iterates through arrays in random order. I guess 90 per cent of the
programs break though it would be completely legal :)

It makes some use for containers like maps however those aren't native types in
pascal.

> box-type 0% (something like variant, but simpler, better and less memory
consuming)

> and some other things which are mostly done, but my best guess is that will be
pascal-off or too-
> heretic-like and used by me only.

History has shown that using incompatible solutions isn't that good. Simply
because people prefer to compile their sources with different compilers.