[fpc-pascal]FPC Version 1.9.4 released.

Olle Raab olle.r at automagika.se
Fri Jun 4 13:07:52 CEST 2004

04-06-02 15.39, skrev James Mills följande:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 03:40:38PM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>> And PIC (Position Independant Code) generation is working too ?
>>
>> No. See the roadmap: scheduled for 1.9.6
>
> Excuse me ignorance. I don't beleive I know what PIC is... What is PIC ?

In OS's like unix (dont know about windows/dos) the machine code has
absolute adresses. This works because there is a virtual address space for
each process. But if a shared library is used, it cannot use absolute
addressing, since othersise it might collide with another shared library.
Hence it has to be independant of where in memory it is loaded. And data has
to be accessed relative the program counter. Code with this property is PIC.

Olle