[fpc-pascal]Error Making CVS version of compiler

Florian Klaempfl Florian.Klaempfl at gmx.de
Thu Feb 19 11:29:02 CET 2004

Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:06:51 +0100 (CET)  xhajt03 at vol.cz wrote:
>

>>From:       "Matt Henley" <mhenley at houston.rr.com>
>>To:         fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org
>>Subject:    [fpc-pascal]Error Making CVS version of compiler
>>Date sent:  Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:06:49 -0600
>>
>> .
>>
>>>/usr/local/bin/ppc386 -Ur -Xs -OG2p3 -n -Fi../inc
>>>-Fi../i386 -Fi../unix
>>>-Fii386 -FE. -di386 -dRELEASE ../unix/dos.pp
>>>dos.pp(227,1) Fatal: Syntax error, "BEGIN" expected but
>>>"identifier
>>>THREADVAR" found
>>>make[3]: *** [dos.ppu] Error 1
>>>make[3]: Leaving directory
>>>`/home/matt/fpc/fpc/rtl/linux'
>>>make[2]: *** [cycle] Error 2
>>
>> .
>> .
>>
>>First of all, there's been an error in CVS, but this has been
>>fixed in between. However, you'll probably have to start cycling
>>with a 1.0.10 compiler. This is a general rule - if cycling
>>doesn't work with the snapshot, try to start with the latest
>>official _release_ version (not beta!) - this rule should be
>>added to the build FAQ probably.
>

> I don't want to critize you, but I think, a 1.9.3 should be able to compile
> a newer 1.9.3. If not, then it's time to increase the version number.

Then we would have once per week a new version number. It happens quite
often that the a one day old cvs version can't compile the current cvs
compiler because either of a new feature or simply a bug in the older
compiler. That's why we have the very simple rule: start building a new
compiler with the lastest stable release.

> In this case the rtl/unix/dos.pp contains some lines, that look suspicious
> to me:
>
> {$ifdef HASTHREADVAR}
> {$ifdef VER1_9_2}
> var
> {$else VER1_9_2}
> threadvar
> {$endif VER1_9_2}
> {$else HASTHREADVAR}
> var
> {$endif HASTHREADVAR}

I added these conditions to allow bootstrapping on PowerPC. Because
there is no 1.0.10-ppc is available, we can use only 1.9.2.