[fpc-pascal] working with bitmaps

Ivan Montes senbei at terra.es
Fri Oct 17 20:26:29 CEST 2003

From: "Rudolf Harney" <rudolf.harney at web.de>
> Ivan Montes wrote:
> >Did you tried SDL (www.libsdl.org)?
> I tried, after You wrote to me and installed a fpc version from
> http://www.grulic.org.ar/~dmoisset/sdl4fp/english.html
> - but I got a windows error "sdl.dll" not found, when I tried the examples
that were in the archive ... so I didn't try any further.
> >I don't know if it's exactly what you want but it's cross platform and
> >supports alpha blending.
> what's alpha blending?
> >Parsing the ascii coords. to make the bitmap overlay should be pretty
easy.
> pretty easy is, what I need ;) I'm sitting here nearly all day now, trying
bitmap stuff!

The SDL is installed with most Linux distributions, however in Windows you
need to download the library and put it somewhere on your path
(c:/windows/system32 for example). The compiled library can be downloaded
here http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.6-win32.zip

Alpha blending is when drawing and image on top of another it makes a
translucent effect. You can see the "under" image thru the "top" image. It's
like transparency on PhotoShop layers.

ciao, Ivan