[fpc-pascal]exceptions

Jonas Maebe jonas at zeus.ugent.be
Fri May 30 12:51:26 CEST 2003

On vrijdag, mei 30, 2003, at 12:47 Europe/Brussels, Adam Naumowicz
wrote:

> I found it a bit surprising that byte-variable overflow does not raise
> EIntException...
> I'm using FPC 1.0.6 (with -Co on the command line).

Also use -Cr. An overflow and a range check are semantically exactly
the same (you get a value which cannot be represented by a certain
number of bits). However, Borland first introduced range checking that
didn't catch overflows, so when they added overflow check, they made it
a different switch for compatibility's sake. This means that FPC is
also stuck with two switches for catching essentially the same error...

Jonas