[fpc-pascal]Graphics woes

John Coppens john at johncoppens.com
Mon Jan 27 19:19:21 CET 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:19:56 +0100 (W. Europe Standard Time)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, John Coppens wrote:
>
> > Hi all...
> >
> > I've been needing quick & dirty graphing capability, and I'm missing
> > the old graph library. I know - I have the graph lib working, but the
> > frequent swaps in and out of X11 are not really very comfortable.
> >
> > As is, I have not found any elegant solution to the problem. I'm that
> > needy I am considering implementing some kind of graph lib that
> > actually opens a new window under X11 and uses that window to plot -
> > still maintaining compatibility with the ol' graph lib. Maybe in some
> > kind of client/server relation. It would be nice to have the text
> > window still active... Does something like this exist? Sound
> > interesting?
>
> This exists. Try the ggigraph unit. It is a graph unit that uses GGI to
> do the actual drawing. It will open an x-window under X11, but will work
> with svgalib when on the console. Maybe also the framebuffer, I don't
> know that.

Hi Michael...

Thanks for the info. I installed libggi and libgii, as these were
necessary to link ggiGraph. Made a small test program, but it doesn't
seem to recognize or accept any of the driver resolutions. I tried with
the normal D8bit, D16bit (and several other) graph driver constants, all
return moderange hi = lo = -1.

I nosed around in the ggi sources, where other constants are defined, but
these are not visible from ggiGraph.

I found this reference:

----------------------
Peter Vreman wrote:

> I can't test GGI. Maybe we should then remove all the GGI graph as it
> doesn't work 100% correct?  Then it'll never get debugged and fixed!

I can't remember exactly who added the GGI version to CVS, but IIRC I
just posted a first version back then and clearly noted that ggigraph is
not finished and may never get finished by me. And currently it doesn't
seem to make sense to support GGI anymore: The graph unit cannot really
handle large bit depths, GGI doesn't support the 4 bpp modes, and
finally in the future fpGFX will support GGI much better than ggigraph
ever could.
If you want to, then remove it, I will not continue ggigraph.

I cannot find much progress in fpGFX 'cept some reference to its being
'really beta'.

Is there any example code for ggiGraph lying around to start testing?

John