[fpc-pascal]SetUid; PARANOIA

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jan 24 15:14:26 CET 2003

> here you are:
>
> <quote>
> // ...
> uses
>   Linux;
> // ...
> function SetUID(UID: Longint): Longint;
> var
>   Regs: SysCallRegs;
> begin
>   Regs.Reg2 := UID;
>   SetUID := SysCall(SysCall_nr_getuid, Regs);
> end;
> //...
> </quote>
>
> written by me some months ago.
>
> a question to the fpc development team: i'm slowly getting paranoid, because
> access to hw, i/o and system seems to vanish as the years pass. what is the
> exact reason that setuid has not been implemented or wrapped in fpc?

None. There pretty much was an initial FPC port to Linux to get everything working,
and after that functions were added on demand only. Specially because it changes often, and
there is/was no decent way to autogenerate them.

I'm working on improving this in 1.1, and also separate the more portable
from the more unportable functions there.