[fpc-pascal]Game Programming in FPC

Joseph Hewitt pyrrho12 at hotmail.com
Fri May 10 19:46:27 CEST 2002

Hi. My name is Joseph Hewitt, and I use Free Pascal for the RPGs I've been
developing. Is anyone else working on games using FPC?

-
GearHead is a roguelike mecha game. What do I mean by that? Well, it's a
computer role-playing game in which you can have lots of dangerous
adventures in a semi-randomly generated world. You also get to pilot giant
robots. Think of it as MechFight plus Moria, with liberal dashes of Fallout,
Bubblegum Crisis, and ADOM added for flavor.

WHAT IT HAS
-----------
- Over 30 mecha designs + variants
- Players are free to create their own mecha
- Campaign world with five towns, three dungeons, and four arenas
- Can be played as a tactical game or as a RPG
- Detailed NPC interaction system
- Random maps, characters, and plot events
- All items, locations, and events are stored in external text files
- Written in FreePascal; full source code is avaliable
- It's free :)

WHAT IT DOESN'T HAVE... YET
---------------------------
- Graphics. The interface currently uses plain ASCII for everything.
    I do plan on offering graphics some time in the future, but at the
    moment I feel that time spent on graphics code could be better spent
    on game mechanics code.
- Mecha Designer. Right now the only way to edit meks is to use a text
    editor. It would be nice to have a GUI designer program some day.
- Multiplayer Support

WHERE TO GET IT

You can download the DOS binaries and Pascal source code from
my web page at:

http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/index.html

If anyone does a compile for Linux, Mac, or Amiga let me know and I'll
stick those versions on the page as well. Bug reports and feature requests
are of course welcome.

                                     - Joseph Hewitt
                                       pyrrho12 at hotmail.com