[fpc-pascal](Fwd) poll

Ralf Quint ralf at aztechvision.net
Thu Mar 1 05:14:52 CET 2001

At 09:51 AM 03/01/2001 +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
>Noah silva wrote:
> >
> > pascal works on a lot more platforms than even Free Pascal.  Obviously it
> > is pretty bad if it still can't gain support.  I myself would like to use
> > it because I use Linux on Sparc, and there is no Free Pascal yet for
> > Sparc, so I have really tried to get GPC to be usefull, I am not just
>
>I have a shell account on a linux sparc box..
>How hard would it be for someone reasonably proficient in pascal, very
>proficient in assembler and never done anything on a sparc to port the
>compiler ?
I have (had) a real SPARC and gave up two years ago (even though I'm pretty
proficient in Pascal AND 68K/x86/Z80/6xxx assembler). You would need not
only a fairly good knowledge about the SPARC CPU, but also about the whole
SPARC system as well.
I got some source from someone who started a port (Carl-Eric ?), but after
several weeks, i still didn't get anything working. Then first my SPARC
(actually the hard drive and the memory) died and shortly after that i
changed jobs and didn't have any time anymore....
At the same time the x86 compiler made so many changes, that i even thought
it wouldn't make any sense anymore to even try to keep up, maybe it's
easier once they are done with the changes to support multi CPU support
that was mentioned a few times before on this list...

Ralf