[fpc-pascal]FPC on the press

Full_Name memsom at post.interalpha.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 12:33:40 CEST 2001

Quoting Michael Van Canneyt <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be>:

> I don't think this has anything to do with it. The GTK object model is
> fine. The difference is that Qt is backed up by a company, which can be asked
> for help and which is a central instance to whom requests can be made.

The GTK model is different enough from the VCL as to make it harder to port
Delphi to Linux *quickly* using it. That's the real reason. When I look at QT
(and indeed the Be API) I can see corresponding classes to my favourite Delphi
components/classes.  From what I've seen, GTK is more your straight C style
API. The learning curve for Borland engineers was be a lot less with QT. The
fact that GTK also has the FSF issues/connatations probably didn't help either.

> Borland is a company that must make money, so these kinds of arguments
> also weigh heavily on architectural decisions.

Exactly.