[fpc-pascal]FPC on the press

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 00:57:30 CEST 2001

> 2. FPC can use any GPL-ed library availabe. Kylix uses its own run-time
libraries and units, which are not compatible (in terms of licensing) with
the GPL

Not strictly true.. some of the CLX is free and open sourced. You can
certainly use anything that *is* free/gpl/opensource with Kylix.

> 3. You can use FPC to develop new free software; you cannot with Kylix

Untrue. There will even be a version of Kylix that is free, and with which
you may *only* make GPL'd software. With the retail version of Kylix you can
do whatever you like.. and if you use the part of the CLX that's open
sourced, it's totally possible to make a fully open sourced project.

> 4. FPC comes with GTK units. Even with the announced support of GTK on
future releases of Kylix, it will generate fatter apps because of the CLX
overhead (Lazarus clone of CLX has lower overhed by design than borland CLX)

QT has a better object model that GTK that suited the VCL more closely. KDE
supports QT better than GTK (at the time Kylix was being developed - this
may have changed.. I doubt it has though.) KDE is in many ways the desktop
of choice. It was a simple design choice.

> 5. FPC supports more plataforms

This is the only one of the 5 points I agree with ;-)

Matt