[fpc-pascal]Re: [Rhide-users] Re: New GDB version 5.1 available

Robert H�hne robert.hoehne at gmx.net
Sun Dec 16 21:13:13 CET 2001

At 16:17 15.12.01 +0200, Andris Pavenis wrote:
>On Saturday 15 December 2001 12:47, Maurice Lombardi wrote:
> > Pierre Muller wrote:
> > >   This is just to inform people that
> > > GDB 5.1 was released.
> > >
> > > * Support for debugging Pascal programs.
> > >     - unlike Pascal, GDB is case-sensitive for symbol names.
> >
> > Do you plan to do something for that ?
> >
> > I use gdb nearly only through Rhide.
> > We can ask to Robert to capitalize identifiers in the gpc or fpc
> > style (somebody already asked him). It will be necessary to
> > take somehow into account the nature (C or Pascal) of the module in which
> > these identifiers are defined (gpc can call C routines).
> > It is useless for him to do that in the rhide interface if GDB already
> > does.

I have tried it with RHIDE and gdb 5.1 linked to it, and it
knows about the pascal variables and you can youe the variable
names like in your program. With this, the hack to preconvert
the names before passing them to gdb is not needed.

>I haven't looked in details what Robert has done, but as far as I saw he
>has included a better support of GDB-5.1 in current CVS version of RHIDE
>in comparission with one I used in 1.4.9.1. Anyway my build of rhide-1.4.9.1

My "better" support is simply, that I took your changes and made them
so, that RHIDE will now work with both gdb versions (5.0 and 5.1). But
with this there might be some other problems derived, which I'm
currently analyzing before a new release.

> > > Don't forget that if you are in pascal language, pascal syntax must be
> > > used:
> > >
> > > so to change the value of a variable 'x' in the program,
> > > you will need to use
> > > (gdb) set x := 5
> > > instead of
> > > (gdb) set x = 5
> > > for older GDB version.
> >
> > Much more natural for Pascal programmers, but for rhide it means a change
> > in the interface depending on a language setting (may be an option to check
> > somewhere).

Thanks for that important hint.

Robert

* email:   Robert Hoehne <robert.hoehne at gmx.net>     *
* Post:    Am Berg 3, D-09573 Dittmannsdorf, Germany *
* WWW:     http://www.rhide.com                      *