[fpc-pascal]Re: New GDB version 5.1 available

Maurice Lombardi Maurice.Lombardi at ujf-grenoble.fr
Sat Dec 15 21:29:56 CET 2001

Andris Pavenis wrote:

> On Saturday 15 December 2001 12:47, Maurice Lombardi wrote:
>
>>Pierre Muller wrote:
>>
>>>  This is just to inform people that
>>>GDB 5.1 was released.
>>>
>>>* Support for debugging Pascal programs.
>>>    - unlike Pascal, GDB is case-sensitive for symbol names.
>>>
>>Do you plan to do something for that ?
>>
>>I use gdb nearly only through Rhide.
>>We can ask to Robert to capitalize identifiers in the gpc or fpc
>>style (somebody already asked him). It will be necessary to
>>take somehow into account the nature (C or Pascal) of the module in which
>>these identifiers are defined (gpc can call C routines).
>>It is useless for him to do that in the rhide interface if GDB already
>>does.
>>

> I haven't looked in details what Robert has done, but as far as I saw he
> has included a better support of GDB-5.1 in current CVS version of RHIDE
> in comparission with one I used in 1.4.9.1. Anyway my build of rhide-1.4.9.1
> is built using GDB-5.1. I don't know about support of debugging Pascal
> programs. It's possible one still has to enter identifiers in upercase. I
> haven't tested that

I have downloaded 1.4.9.1 and built GDB-5.1 (GNU version) for djgpp to compare.

There is no capitalization in GDB-5.1
in 1.4.9.1 (and was the same in 1.4.9), there seems to be some experimentation.
No capitalization at all for Ctrl-F4 (Evaluate/Modify)
   As expected Change do not work: the GDB windows shows the command
   set variable N=3
   (instead of set variable:=3 for pascal).
FPC capitalisation for Ctrl-F7 (Watch), i.e. ALL UPPERCASE
   for gpc in should be Only First Letter Uppercase.
   It is possible to select one or other depending whether

  Option/Environment/preference/Use FPC Compiler

  is checked or not.

Otherwise the syntax seems to be much more natural for a Pascal programmer.
So I am very interested to see the progresses in this work.

Maurice

--
        Maurice Lombardi
Laboratoire de  Spectrometrie Physique,