[fpc-pascal]High resolution timers on linux ?

Matti Hamalainen mhamalai at ratol.fi
Tue Aug 28 13:00:10 CEST 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Gabor DEAK JAHN wrote:

> At 8/27/01 09:13 PM, you wrote:
>
> Kenneth,
>
>  > I need some way to determine when 1/10000 sec has passed
>  > I suppose it can be done with the timerchip in the PC - but how ?
>
> I have a unit I've used quite a lot some years ago, it was written for
> Borland Pascal, so you will need to modify it slightly. As far as I can
> remember, its precision was below a microsecond and didn't even reprogram
> the timer (it did modify one setting but not the actual rate so it didn't
> disturb other software running). The trick is that although the usual timer
> interrupt is very rare, the timer chip itself counts rather fast. All you
> have to do is to read this counter value and use it to form a very high
> resolution timer.

I think you missed the point: You can only use that kind of trick under
DOS, he wanted a solution that works under Linux. Under Linux you would
need a kernel module for that and that's probably beyond the scope of
this mailing-list and is not even possible with FPC (AFAIK).

=- ccr/TNSP^pWp
] ccr at tnsp.org | http://www.tnsp.org/
] Show me your "realtime raytracer in Java"
] and I'll show you my CBM 8032, 2 MHz!