[fpc-pascal]PalmOS

Florian Klaempfl florian at klaempfl.de
Fri Aug 17 11:54:15 CEST 2001

At 00:56 17.08.01 +0100, you wrote:
>There are already 2 very good pascal compilers for the palm platform in late
>beta. One will be pretty cheap when it ships. The other thing is that Palm
>inc has just acquired Be Inc's assets, so you can probably kiss goodbye to
>the 68k Palm OS with in the next year or so.

I don't think that this happen that fast. If they give
up the m68k PalmOS support, they've no chance against WinCE. The
big advantage of the PalmOS is the large number of applications.

>Palm will either move to BeIA
>or a hybrid - probably on a PowerPC/Risc processor.

I'am still not sure, if a handheld needs a faster processor than
the m68k. Ok, if it runs WinCE :) . I can't imagine a serious application
which needs more than the speed of a m68k. And a faster processor
consumes always more battery power.

Maybe Speech regnition would be nice, but it even doesn't work on a desktop PC.

>This of course sucks for me, because I just got underway with the Be API
>wrapper for the FPC BeOS port :(.. it look like BeOS is dead and burried....

Hmmm, personally I've already the opinion for 1 or 2 years that BeOS is dead
but I thought the people making the BeOS port know it better :)