[fpc-pascal]FreePascal x PHP: performance

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Aug 17 08:43:37 CEST 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] Neilson Antônio Henriques wrote:

> Hello fellows ...
>
>     I'm porting a PHP console application to FreePascal. The only one
> question
>     is about the speed. PHP with Zend Optimizer seems to be really fast.
>     Does anybody with its kind of experience ?

In principle FPC apps should still work faster, since you don't need the
extra compile step, as the FPC apps are already compiled. The things that
matter here are the speed of the zend compilation and the time it takes for
the FPC app to get loaded.

If the zend compiler produces some kind of bytecode (which I suspect it
does), then FPC should still be faster as it creates native executable
code.

But these are just some theoretical observations, not supported by experiments.

Michael.