[fpc-other] Stanford Pascal Compiler successfully ported to Windows, OS/2 and Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-other at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Dec 24 16:35:41 CET 2016

On 24/12/16 14:30, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
> Am 24.12.2016 um 14:21 schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
>> On 24/12/16 12:30, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding ^:
>>>
>>> "my" compiler supports different representations for the pointer symbol,
>>> and for other
>>> critical symbols, too:
>>>
>>> ^  @  ->   for the pointer symbol (I use -> most of the time)
>>> [   (.   (/   for arrays
>>> {   (*  /*   for comments  ("comment" is supported, too, for historic
>>> reasons)
>>
>> /* was the form used in the first edition of Wirth's description of
>> Pascal (might have been before Jensen was there to help out). However
>> I'd strongly suggest deprecating @ and replacing it with another
>> digraph, it's used as the address-of operator in Turbo Pascal and its
>> successors.
>>

> I don't like @, too. What you told me about the address-of operator
> in Turbo Pascal etc. is a very strong reason to get rid of @; I will
> think about it.
> I converted all relevant sources (including the compiler itself) to ->,
> so this would be ok for me.

Leave it in the compiler as long as possible, but explicitly mark it as
deprecated (/not/ depreciated :-)

The TopSpeed family used something like ADR() and SIZE() as functions
with ADDRESS as an untyped pointer; ADDRESS() acted as a cast. Their
Pascal compiler used :: as a type transfer that changed bit patterns
where necessary, and :> as one that didn't change bit patterns.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk