[fpc-devel] LEA instruction speed

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Tue Oct 3 03:32:34 CEST 2023

Hi everyone,

This is mainly to Florian, but also to anyone else who can answer the
question - at which point did a complex LEA instruction (using all three
input operands and some other specific circumstances) get slow?
Preliminary research suggests the 486 was when it gained extra latency,
and then Sandy Bridge when it got particularly bad.  Icy Lake seems to
be the architecture where faster LEA instructions are reintroduced, but
I'm not sure about AMD processors.

Should I introduce a new x86 subprocessor named "ICYLAKE" or is there a
better name or does it fall under one of our categories already
(CORE_AVX2 or ZEN3)?

Kit