[fpc-devel] An interesting thought... AI

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Thu Nov 10 19:10:15 CET 2022

Hi everyone,

This has been something that has been on my mind for a while now, but
with my increasingly more complex optimisations being developed for the
Free Pascal Compiler and the code becoming an ever bigger spiderweb of
conditions, it got me to start wondering... might compiler optimisation
be a candidate for AI? Often I try to hand-optimise assembly language to
get the same output in fewer cycles (and fewer bytes too if possible),
and then see if I can program the compiler to match it.  I can't hope to
catch every possible optimisation though, and I wonder if using an AI in
some way to develop more efficient machine code has ever been a serious
contender for research.  I have heard of stories like the Deepmind AI
finding a faster way to multiply matrices, so it seems logical that it
can improve instruction processes.

This is probably a lazy question, but what would be a good set of
resources when it comes to beginning machine learning, or at the very
least building simple models?  When it comes to hardware, I have a
couple of 3060 Tis at my disposal for some parallel computation.

Kit