[fpc-devel] Smart-linking on linux/x86-64

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Sat Jul 9 14:13:32 CEST 2022

Op 05-07-2022 om 23:45 schreef Sven Barth via fpc-devel:
> Joost van der Sluis via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org
> <mailto:fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org>> schrieb am Di., 5. Juli 2022,
> 22:37:
>
> I think many people would be glad if you'd solve the issue of smart
> linking with debug information when an external linker is used. :)

That's easy. See the attachment (Linux only). The results are similar as
gcc produces. Apparently ld does not regard references in debug-sections
as real references, and replaces them with 0-addresses. Just like our
internal linker on Windows does.

I don't dare to push it, though. Because:

1: Someone disabled this because some older version of LD cannot handle
it. Maybe some version we use still use on some targets/systems?

2: Someone disabled this because of some corner-case we now don't know
of anymore.

Does anyone have some more information?

Regards,

Joost