[fpc-devel] I've asked this before, but perhaps I wasn't specific enough that time: what do I *personally*, specifically need to do to ensure that a native Windows 64-bit build winds up on the FPC website for the next release?

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Thu Jan 13 04:59:57 CET 2022

On 1/12/2022 5:20 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-devel wrote:
> When compiling from a target supporting Extended to one only
> supporting Double there isn't a loss of precision when calculating
> values at compile time. The other way around however, there *is* and
> that is the more crucial problem.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

/I understand only part of this issue.  64-bit windows doesn't have
extended support, is there a reason for this? If it's simply processors,
and it works on linux, why does it not work on windows?/

/Also, since it's 64-bit, wouldn't a double on a 64-bit system match or
exceed the numeric range on an extended range for a 32-bit system?/

/I'm no expert on compiler numeric ranges, and 32/64 ranges aren't
something I've studied a whole lot of, other than to note that 64-bit
processors can handle *much* larger numbers, so I don't understand why
this problem exists./

/Is there a summary of why this is a problem anywhere I can refer to so
I can understand why this happens, and what (if anything) can be done to
solve it?/

/I've always been fascinated by compilers, though I've never actually
written anything except an assembler for dos several years ago, I was
never able to extend that to other languages, because of lack of
knowledge of how the cpu does things, but this is still an interesting
topic for me, and I honestly can't figure out why there would be an
issue at all./

/I'm not doubting there is one, I'm just missing a piece or two to
understand it./

/Any help would be appreciated.
/