[fpc-devel] Peephole optimizer tai class change proposals

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Wed Oct 6 06:20:53 CEST 2021

Would you approve something like this, Jonas?  I admit it's not properly
tested yet, but I'm descending from TLinkedListItem (and the descendant
class can itself be descended from) and the TAOptObj class handles
allocation and cleanup of extra information.  I'm not sure how practical
it is, but I'm taking advantage of the linked list system by allowing
tai objects to have more than one extra information object associated
with it.

https://gitlab.com/CuriousKit/optimisations/-/compare/main...opt-info-list?from_project_id=29565238

I hope you can view it!

It might be worth changing the defintion of optinfo from Pointer to
TExtraOptInfo (the TLinkedListItem descendant), but I don't know if this
may break something that's already present.

One thing I did miss was a "typ" field for TExtraOptInfo so you can look
up to see what kind of object it is without relying on ClassType etc,
but I don't know where and how to define such an enumeration because the
different types would be platform-dependent.  All I can think of
currently is an include file for each platform, which comes with its own
problems.

Gareth aka. Kit