[fpc-devel] Cross-compiling and warnings from linker

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Nov 23 09:43:23 CET 2021

On 2021-11-22 16:46, Sergey Organov via fpc-devel wrote:
> Jonas Maebe via fpc-devel
> <fpc-devel-PD4FTy7X32k2wBtHl531yWD2FQJk+8+b at public.gmane.org> writes:
  .
  .
> Yeah, I see. However, this file (/etc/fpc.cfg) is part of installation
> of particular version of FPC provided by corresponding Linux
> distribution, and is out of control of a person that installs custom
> (likely more recent) FPC. That's just yet another reason not to read
> /etc/fpc.cfg unless compiler is installed in /usr/, more so as
> different
> FPC versions may have incompatible ideas of its meaning.
  .
  .
> Yep, backward compatibility could be an issue. A solution could be to
> still read /etc/fpc.cfg if /usr/local/etc/fpc.cfg is not found.

There are valid reasons for having a shared configuration for multiple
installed versions of FPC (the one in /etc may equally serve for FPC
installed into /usr/bin/ as well as /usr/local/ and other possible
places), FPC provides means for specifying certain options conditionally
there. In general, there's no particular reason why a person installing
FPC should have rights for installation into /usr/local/ but not rights
for changing configuration in /etc. If some person / user misses such
rights, there's already the option of placing the configuration file
into his or her home directory. Yes, /usr/local/etc/ might be added as
one more location, but the more locations are supported, the bigger risk
that users get confused due to multiple configuration files with
different options specified.

Tomas