[fpc-devel] Optimisation and thread safety

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Sat Nov 13 13:09:02 CET 2021

I figured that if you read from memory, and then write to memory, it's
not safe to read from the same memory block again because the write
address could be equal to (or overlap) the read memory and it's
impossible to rule that out if different registers are used. It might be
okay if the references use the same registers (and remain constant) and
only the offsets differ (and, again, there's no overlap), but otherwise
it would only be safe when using %rsp, since I'm pretty sure the
compiler does not use that for anything other than the stack pointer.

If it's the programmer's job to handle thread synchronisation, that
alleviates some pressure.

Thanks for the insight, Florian and Michael.

Gareth aka. Kit