[fpc-devel] Defer keyword

Benito van der Zander benito at benibela.de
Fri May 7 17:40:46 CEST 2021

Hi,

> Don't forget that the record/management operator approach will again
> blow up binary size; for every variable declared like this you risk
> creating a new type.

the classic Delphi way was to use an interface for freeing. It only
requires one type and nothing blows up.

type
   TDefer = class(TInterfacedObject)
     toDefer: TObject;
     constructor Create(anobject: tobject);
     destructor destroy; override;
   end;

constructor TDefer.Create(anobject: tobject);
begin
   toDefer := anobject;
end;

destructor TDefer.destroy;
begin
   toDefer.free;
   inherited destroy;
end;

function deferedFree(obj: TObject): IUnknown;
begin
   result := TDefer.Create(obj);
end;

Then it can be used as:

procedure test;
var
   sl: TStringList;
begin
   sl := TStringList.Create;
   deferedFree(sl);
   writeln(sl.count);
end;

Unfortunately it fails in FreePascal because the interface is released
too soon.

At worst, one could use a temporary variable in Delphi:

procedure test;
var
   sl: TStringList;
begin
   sl := TStringList.Create;
   var temp := deferedFree(sl);
   writeln(sl.count);
end;

> The introduction of generics and their abundant use in Delphi has
> noticably slowed down the compiler and increased binary sizes. To my
> dismay, compile times of 20 seconds up to 2 minutes have become not
> uncommon in Delphi. Something almmost unthinkable in D7 days.

With these generics they copied all the problems of C++. One of the
worst ways of doing that

It would have been better to implement them like dynamic arrays. The
generic code gets RTTI, the specialization does not generate any code,
and just avoids explicit casting.

Cheers,
Benito