[fpc-devel] Defer keyword

Ryan Joseph genericptr at gmail.com
Fri May 7 17:39:08 CEST 2021

> On May 7, 2021, at 3:08 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> The introduction of generics and their abundant use in Delphi has noticably slowed down the compiler and increased binary sizes. To my dismay, compile times of 20 seconds up to 2 minutes have become not uncommon in Delphi. Something almmost unthinkable in D7 days.

Is it badly optimized or just overused? I don't have any way to compare but FPC seems pretty good with generics (Sven will know if there are any optimizations that could be made). Implicit function specialization will appear (at least at first) without any optimizations but I'll fix that later.

> If that can be avoided by use of a keyword for 90% of use cases, I think it is worth thinking about it and not dismissing it offhand.

I already raised the idea of an "auto" keyword some years ago already and it got rejected in favor of record operators.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph