[fpc-devel] FPC & Lazarus moving to gitlab

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Jun 23 14:46:59 CEST 2021

On 23/06/2021 00:09, Ryan Joseph via fpc-devel wrote:

>> On Jun 22, 2021, at 4:02 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The plan has *never* been GitHub. The original plan was self hosted with a *mirror* on GitHub. Now we'll instead use GitLab as main repository with a mirror on GitHub.
>>
> How does the mirroring work? It seems 99% of the dev world is using GitHub now so it's a pity to have to learn new tools if we don't have to. I'm very happy with GitHub myself and use it often.

If you know github, then gitlab will not be that different. (though yes,
the menu structure is not 1 to 1 => so a few minutes to find some of the
features)

First of all, most work on the code is done in git => on your PC. So
that is identical.

Issue trackers are similar. gitlab offers a few things on top (like
issue boards, a configurable view of issues grouped by some criteria)

"pull requests" are called "merge request", otherwise similar too.

---
Apparently (according to Michael) github credentials can even be used
for login ...