[fpc-devel] FPC & Lazarus moving to gitlab

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 23 07:34:26 CEST 2021

Am 23.06.2021 um 00:09 schrieb Ryan Joseph via fpc-devel:

>> On Jun 22, 2021, at 4:02 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The plan has *never* been GitHub. The original plan was self hosted with a *mirror* on GitHub. Now we'll instead use GitLab as main repository with a mirror on GitHub.
>>
> How does the mirroring work? It seems 99% of the dev world is using GitHub now so it's a pity to have to learn new tools if we don't have to. I'm very happy with GitHub myself and use it often.
Just like the mirroring of everyone else not using GitHub as main
repository works - and there are many! Especially the bigger ones (LLVM
comes to mind, Linux as well and ReactOS). You'll be able to pull from
GitHub and issue Pull Requests which we in turn are able to apply. What
won't work however are issues. Those will only be available on the main
repository.

Also please note that we probably won't set up the mirror right away.

And as I said: GitLab and GitHub aren't /that/ different regarding their
use. In my opinion there is no excuse not to learn these differences and
work with GitLab directly as well. You'll have to for bug reports anyway.

Regards,
Sven