[fpc-devel] Proposal/discussion: Simple nested functions and 'outlining'

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Fri Oct 2 09:09:20 CEST 2020

Ah crumbs, I thought it was too easy!  I can't believe I missed the
obvious there!  Not much of a saving if it has to store the return
address somewhere (mov @return(%rip),%rcx; mov %rcx, (somewhere on the
stack)).

The advantage would be reducing the chance of additional memory caching
since it's all together, and not having additional stack unwinding and
function prologues.  But the requirement of a return address... yeah
that complicates it!  Sorry, I feel silly now.  I might play around with
it as a personal research project to see if it's viable though.

Gareth aka. Kit