[fpc-devel] ftfont and FreeType

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jul 17 17:26:56 CEST 2020

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020, Werner Pamler wrote:

> Am 17.07.2020 um 12:30 schrieb Ondrej Pokorny:
>> I am not 100% sure, but some freetype.dll versions can depend on
>> zlib1.dll. I.e. you need to copy zlib1.dll to the exe directory as well.
>>
>> Actually I just found an info about it:
>> https://wiki.freepascal.org/FPReport_FAQ (see Lazarus does not start
>> anymore in Windows).
> Thanks Ondrej. But I think I made a stupid mistake and probably had
> chosen the wrong bitness version from the download site because now the
> demo is working in both 32 and 64 bit, without zlib1.dll.
>
> I still wonder why the FCL freetype support was changed to require the
> dll now while it was not in the old FPC version.

It is exactly the opposite.

It can now load the DLL dynamically.

home:~/fpc/packages/fcl-image/src> svn log freetypeh.pp
r37865 | michael | 2017-12-29 15:22:33 +0100 (Fri, 29 Dec 2017) | 1 line

Dynamic use of freetype lib

You can use unit freetypeh.pp which links statically (as it was)
or freetypehdyn.pp which loads dynamically.

fpReport does require the presence of freetype. In order to be able to
install it in Lazarus without requiring the presence of a dll, the ability
to load freetype dll dynamically was added.

Michael.