[fpc-devel] The new XMM intrinsics

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat Jan 18 12:46:52 CET 2020

Am 16.01.20 um 23:22 schrieb J. Gareth Moreton:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic with this, but must we abide by C/C++
> standards and go by the name __m128 etc. for the 128-bit data type?

They can be added additionally. After some thinking, I came to the
conclusion we should first go with the same naming C uses (as we do in
every library header meanwhile), on top of this some more pascalish way
can be added.

> Being as how Pascal tended to go for more readable and BASIC-inspired
> names like Integer and Single, might it be better to name them TM128
> instead?  If not that, then is it possible to add a union-like record
> type to the System unit or the inc files that contain all of the
> intrinsics?

The point is: only these types enable the compiler to use the right mov
instructions. Using a record means there is no rule which mov
instructions (movdqa, movabs, movapd etc.) should be used.