[fpc-devel] Different handling of try..except depending on OS?

Marco van de Voort fpc at pascalprogramming.org
Thu Dec 10 22:21:17 CET 2020

Op 2020-12-10 om 21:57 schreef Sven Barth via fpc-devel:
> Am 10.12.2020 um 20:54 schrieb Bart via fpc-devel:
>>> No fpc in your linux vm ? I'm shocked... ;-)
>> Well, no trunk ;-)
>> On Windows I know how to easily switch between using compilers.
>> 3.2.0 is in path and I have some batch files to change that for 3.0.4
>> and trunk respectively (only in the current console session).
>> I never had the courage to figure out how to do that on linux (in such
>> a way it does not interfere with my normal setup).
> I use a script to change symlinks that are inside a directory that's
> in PATH.

In the past I used the -V parameter a lot.

  -V<x>  Append '-<x>' to the used compiler binary name (e.g. for version)

This allows to make symlinks like   e.g. ppcx64-3.0  to
/usr/local/lib/fpc/3.0.4/ppcx64  and then compile with fpc -V3.0 etc.

Of course this meant that the fpc.cfg had to be carefully crafted with
$FPCVERSION

The biggest drawback is that it only goes for the compiler not for the
other binaries. AND it requires a parameter, but for a quick check with
an old/release compiler that is enough.