[fpc-devel] Different handling of try..except depending on OS?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:47:07 CET 2020

Bart via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> schrieb am Do., 10.
Dez. 2020, 11:56:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 7:34 AM Sven Barth via fpc-devel
> <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> > That is correct, because without the SysUtils unit (which declared the
> > Exception type) the RTL can't convert the triggered runtime error to an
> > exception type that can be caught inside the try ... except ... end
> block.
>
> I would have expected that in that scenario (no sysutils) try..except
> or try..finally should raise a compilation error then.
> Since you teel the compiler to do things it cannot do?
> It would be Delphi incompatible of course ...

The *compiler* handles it correctly. It's the *RTL* that's not setup in a
way that it would work correctly in that case. And since in theory the user
is completely free to provide their own RTL the compiler can't do any
checks here.

> B.t.w. (cannot test now, am at work): does it catc exceptions if any
> other used unit in the main program uses sysutils?
> I.o.w.: is it enough if sysutils gets linked in, or must it be in the
> unit/prgram that actually has the try..except/try..finally code in it?

The initialization section of the SysUtils unit needs to be executed, so as
long as any other unit includes the SysUtils unit it will work.

Regards,
Sven