[fpc-devel] Attn Michael: r 43417 (ordinal bithelpers)

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 10 11:45:11 CET 2019

On 2019-11-10 10:54, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> It's not just the waste of time, it's also the origanization of the
> sources.
> See my mail to Florian. I have 1 application that has all the tests.
> It's
> easy to navigate & whatnot.

The nice thing about your punit-based tests is that they can just as
easily be used in a single test application as in multiple individual
test applications. Since the testsuite only tries to compile and execute
source files starting with "t", there would be no problem with also
adding your single top-level application there as long as its name
starts with another character.

We could even have just the single top-level application in the
testsuite (along with all of the individual subject tests as units, like
it was in the code you added to svn), since for testing unit
functionality having separate test programs is indeed less important
(and it's still very easy to make one if it is necessary for some reason
at one point).

> It's clear we won't find each other. I have removed the sources from
> SVN since Florian didn't want the rtl cluttered and we'll leave it at
> that.

The problems with this are
1) your tests never get run on all platforms, so things may be broken on
platforms other than the ones you test
2) when someone else fixes a bug in or improves one of the tested
routines, they may break on of your tests without realising (and without
being able to easily test their changes, unless they write a test
program similar to one you may already have and then add that to the
testsuite themselves)

Jonas