[fpc-devel] Attn Michael: r 43417 (ordinal bithelpers)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 10 10:54:00 CET 2019

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019, Jonas Maebe wrote:

>>> With parallel compilation, it will be barely slower.
>>
>> home:~/rtl> time retest Classes > out
>> 3.400u 0.628s 0:04.02 100.0%    0+0k 0+33872io 0pf+0w
>>
>> retest is the command I use. I redirected output. 3 seconds, and that
>> includes recompiling the RTL. All classes tests run.
>>
>> home:~/fpc> time make clean all PP=ppcx64-3.0.4 > out
>
> As I mentioned, we could change it so that for running the hypothetical
> tests_rtl target in tests directory, you would only have to compile the RTL.

No.

It's not just the waste of time, it's also the origanization of the sources.
See my mail to Florian. I have 1 application that has all the tests. It's
easy to navigate & whatnot.
In the testsuite the tests are scattered over 100-ds of applications in
which a cat cannot find her kitten. I wouldn't know how to find all tests
for a particular function apart from a grep X *.* */*.* */*/*.* etc. Not
particularly efficient.

You guys run & debug the compiler. I run & debug the test app.
This is a fundamental difference in work cycle.

The compiler way is no way of working for me.
I understand it suits you: fine, I don't stop you.

But please, never mind.

It's clear we won't find each other. I have removed the sources from SVN
since Florian didn't want the rtl cluttered and we'll leave it at that.

Michael.