[fpc-devel] Attn Michael: r 43417 (ordinal bithelpers)

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat Nov 9 20:45:15 CET 2019

Am 09.11.19 um 20:26 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

> On Sat, 9 Nov 2019, Florian Klämpfl wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> My solution is WAY superior to yours in this respect.
>>>
>>> I have exactly 1 application which I open in lazarus. I can navigate
>>> between all the 100ds of tests without problem.
>>>
>>> Compile, run, ready. It's a matter of seconds.
>>
>> Yes, if you ignore that you need to handle different compilers/targets
>> (installed/trunk/fixes/cross compilers/remote testing).
>
> I would ignore this in each case. I compile & test for the platform I
> work on.
>
> The rest would be for the daily testsuite run. That is why it exists.

This is way too late. This would result in a continuously broken
compiler/rtl.

> Or do you intend to say you manually run the tests for all platforms
> after every line
> you change ?

Almost ;), but 2-3 platforms and those change obviously as I test a lot
just with qemu. But indeed, before every commit I test on i386 and
x86-64 (linux or win) and additionally on the target the patch was
developed, e.g. arm or e.g. on an architecture which uses a different
endianess or requires proper alignment. If the patch is architecture
specific, I test the affected architectures. I had for sure tested bit
fiddling code like the bit helpers on a big endian target.