[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Wed Feb 20 22:59:52 CET 2019

20.02.2019 21:28, Giuliano Colla:
[...]
> Moreover, using a modern tool such as Lazarus, you never need to scroll
> 1000 lines to find a declaration: you just press alt+Up to go to the
> declaration of the symbol over the cursor, and Ctrl+H to go back to the
> line of code.

It's a bit like car manufacturer saying, "we've arranged a steering
wheel in the trunk but you need not worry, there are third-party
extenders allowing to also access it from a driver's seat."

> Keeping all declarations separated from code is just good programming
> practice. Mixing declaration and code is bad programming practice, IMO,
> and I appreciate Pascal for not supporting it.

Are you really sure? What about:

procedure Test;
var
   a: integer;
   function b(c: integer): integer;
   begin
     b := 10 + 5 * c;
   end;
var
   d: integer;
begin
   d := b(1); a := 2;
end;

What is it if not mixing declaration and code?

Thank you,

Regards,
Nikolai