[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Ozz Nixon ozznixon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 19:58:44 CET 2019

* Just to note there is a choice - not pitching one is better just, there
is someone doing it *
There is a choice of course... built using FPC. I wrote ModernPascal. We do
not focus on Windows support as much as other platforms FPC is available
for. Per grammar, MP2 (current build) was designed to make my efforts for
web development much easier...at the time, I was running Apache 2.2 at
home, and 2.4 at work, and constantly tripping over the include files for
my Apache Mods. (MP2 is now 18 years old, and very flexible with variables)
*NO GUI YET* (Lazarus and Delphi are great for that arena).

It can do
function xyz:boolean;
var
   a:byte;

begin
    a:=1;
    result:=(a=1);
end;

It can do
function xyz:boolean;
begin
   var a:=1;
   result:=(a=1);
end;

It also supports extremely short hand - for scripting:
// no program
// no begin
// just:
    var a:=request.getMethod;
    response.write(a);
// no end.

* We do not support Units in the style you expect, Modern Pascal's are
imported DLL/SO/Dynlibs, and we do not care to support Generics. Our
end-user base is under 1000 right now. But, we work on the product, with
the product, etc., every day, 7 days a week, for 18 years. Linux and Mac
binaries are on github.com/3fllc/modernpascal/ (windows binary has a bug in
it right now - when we upgraded to FPC 3.0.4 *I* broke something and have
not found it - but, not a fire as all of my end users are Linux or Mac.) --
tutorial.modernpascal.com for work in progress manual. We am very open to
designs, but, MP2 can still run 99% of Turbo Pascal source... except for
far, near, int, absolute, etc.