[fpc-devel] How do I go about volunteering as a "release builder", so that we can get rid of the objectively untrue, misleadingly worded "There is no native compiler available for x86_64 Win64. You have to use a cross-compiler" notice on the FPC website?

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Nov 5 18:02:58 CET 2018

On 11/4/18 10:31 PM, Ben Grasset wrote:
> It may really truly be the case that you somehow have a codebase that you're
> still in the process of porting,

no one said "still in the process of porting"... porting of those hasn't even
started...

> but in all honesty /just /setting {$mode TP} and nothing else will generally
> speaking get you 90% of the way there most of the time, if not all the way.
true to a point...

> FPC in TP mode has been able to compile most of the old Borland TP demos with
> zero changes for years now...

this is true but some of us used a lot of low level operations that aren't
available any more... direct screen writes, low level disk access using FAT
tables and BIOS function calls, reading the BIOS area to determine which COM
ports are assigned and what their addresses are, etc...

> It's not even like TP was that different. Generally speaking it's just the same
> Object Pascal, except with less features. I don't mean to be rude, but I simply
> fail to see how porting code from it could ever be "daunting."

again, it is the number of lines that would lead to that in certain cases...
then there's also the complete requirement to unlearn old methods that are still
stuck in one's memory... hell, i have a library of code here for working with
time and dates... FPC has all that already covered so all that code that i wrote
is basically useless now but the newer code is different enough that figuring
which routine to use and which parameters need to be changed... ya know? some of
us old timers don't live in front of the compilers any more, either...

anyway, i just wanted to point out that your statement was using a very broad
brush with poor knowledge of the facts (aka limited horizon)... for me, i'm done
with this thread now ;)