[fpc-devel] x86_64 Optimizer Overhaul

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 21:04:30 CET 2018

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:37 PM Martok <listbox at martoks-place.de> wrote:

> In any case, FPC's cmem on Win32 calls into mscvrt, and that is so slow
> that I
> killed the test code after a couple of minutes, where even FPC-builtin was
> done
> after 10 seconds.

Interesting. On Win64 I've found it to be consistently faster. Also, the
cmem unit changed to call into a copy of Jemalloc.dll (i.e. je_malloc
instead of malloc and such), something I've experimented with, is WAY
faster.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:43 PM Jonas Maebe <jonas at freepascal.org> wrote:

> That is incorrect.

I didn't mean that it doesn't *care* about being fast, but more that it
will not necessarily use more memory in all cases that it might result in a
speed gain, and generally is more concerned with a "balanced" approach,
which is what I've always heard to be the case. Is that really not true at
all?