[fpc-devel] Porting fpc to linux-sparc64

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Mon May 29 14:35:28 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Mon, 29 May 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> > I'm looking into it now. Stay tuned. I managed to reproduce your linker
> > problem already, at least. :)
>
> Thanks. But the linker problem is just a result of the assembler not
> playing nicely. The linker did nothing wrong ;-).

Right, I just meant I'm approaching the actual problem to fix. :)

> > > From the build log:
> > >
> > > as  -o /root/fpc/fpc-3.0.0+dfsg/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux/prt0.o sparc/prt0.as
> > > as   -o /root/fpc/fpc-3.0.0+dfsg/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux/dllprt0.o sparc/dllprt0.as
> > > as  -o /root/fpc/fpc-3.0.0+dfsg/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux/cprt0.o sparc/cprt0.as
> > > as  -o /root/fpc/fpc-3.0.0+dfsg/fpcsrc/rtl/units/sparc-linux/gprt0.o sparc/gprt0.as
> >
> > Err, those are invoked directly from the Makefile, not invoked from inside
> > FPC. But you're right, that will be also a problem... Some platforms still
> > use asm-written startup stubs in FPC. Not all of them tho'. I think these
> > days these startup codes could be written in Pascal anyway, but for Sparc
> > they're not.
>
> But isn't the Makefile generated from fpcmake? :-O

It is, but it's *pregenerated*, and committed to the SVN. The build
process doesn't generate any Makefiles, actually. (Lets not argue now it
is a nice practice or not, it is what it is...) To fix this, one has to
regenerate them. But it's complicated. ;) I'm not sure if you actually has
to fix inside fpcmake or the submitted Makefile.fpc which fpcmake uses to
generate the actual Makefile. But by the time I get there I'll figure it
out. One problem at a time.

> Let me know if you need access to a porterbox.

Probably. If I get to something, I'll drop you a pubkey.

Charlie